Navigating the sticky, jam-covered road of life.  

Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Pediatrician Chronicles: Visit One

After my last disastrous visit to the girls' pediatrician, I decided it was time to find a new one.  I asked around, got some recommendations, and made an appointment.  We showed up about 15 minutes early, filled out the paper work, and waited.  And waited.  And waited.  And waited.  Then we saw a nurse, got a weight/height check, a room, and waited.  And waited.  And waited.  And did I mention that we waited?  

How long is too long to wait for a pediatrician?  All told, we waited for 1 hour, 40 minutes.  Call me crazy, but I think that's excessive.  Granted, she was good with Ladybug.  Gentle, calming, cracked a few jokes.  She even introduced herself to me when she walked in the room.  And introducing yourself before you examine my child earns you major brownie points.  I didn't even have to pay for parking.  

But it's hard to entertain a kid, first in a waiting room, and then in an exam room.  I'm reluctant to let them eat, because what if the previous occupant had a kick ass case of the stomach flu?  I live in fear of the stomach flu.   The two times that my family has come into intimate contact with the stomach flu were the only two times that I've actually prayed to die.  There are only so many games you can play with a 19 month old in an exam room.  Especially a 19 month old with the attention span of a fruit fly.  And I'm fairly well prepared.  

So bottom line:  I'll give her one more chance.  We've got another appointment on Friday.  But until then, I'm curious.  How long would you wait?  Is it worth it for a good pediatrician? 

2 comments:

Motherhood Uncensored said...

I've never waited longer than 30 minutes for my doc -- www.drkute.com -- she's awesome. A bit of a drive, though.

Almost 2 hours is complete insanity. Did she apologize profusely?

Atlanta Mommy said...

She didn't even mention how long the wait was. Scary. Makes me think it's SOP.