Navigating the sticky, jam-covered road of life.  

Sunday, December 14, 2008

He Said What?

I can't even begin to tell you how fantastic this weekend was.  Well, Sunday was great.  Friday night and Saturday... not so much.  Ladybug screamed all night on Friday.  And I do mean ALL NIGHT.  Anyone who knows my kids knows that they are probably the world's best sleepers.  I put them to bed at 7:30 pm, and don't hear from them until close to 7 am.  Ladybug has always been this way.  I can probably count on one hand the number of times she's woken up in the middle of the night.  I know it sounds a little unbelievable, and trust me... there aren't many people that I tell that too.  I have no desire to be the target of a sleep-deprived new parent.  

So after screaming all night long, I called the pediatrician.  She had had a fever on Wednesday and Thursday, and I was a little worried about ear infections.   Did I mention the fact that she screamed bloody murder ALL NIGHT?  After the doctor, who didn't bother introducing himself, listened to me talk about how fantastic a sleeper she is and how out of character it was that she SCREAMED ALL NIGHT LONG, he had the nerve to say, "So you mean to tell me that you brought your daughter in this morning because she was a little fussy last night?"  

I had gotten less than 3 hours sleep that night, and I was thinking a little slow.  I did manage to sputter out something about how he must have misunderstood me.  That "a little fussy" didn't begin to describe the tirade that occurred.  We ended up leaving the office with a nice little diagnosis of "virus."  Now honestly, that's what I expected.  

What I didn't expect was the level of disrespect I received from the physician treating my child.  I expect that her doctor should take into consideration the fact that, at this point, I know my child far better than he does.  I have no patience for a physician that  does not believe me or listen to me when I tell him important information regarding my child.  I absolutely will not tolerate being blown off by my child's doctor.  So we're leaving the practice.  When I have calmed down, I will write a letter describing why we are leaving.  Don't quite think I'm there yet.  To add insult to injury, the parking payment machine gave me back $17, in change.  Lots and lots of change.  

The weekend did get a little better.  Ladybug slept perfectly on Saturday night, and I got a nap.  I actually managed to finish most of my Christmas shopping, at least the thing I had to get before school ended for Sunshine.  Actually that alone should make the weekend a stunning success.  

No comments: