Navigating the sticky, jam-covered road of life.  

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Searching

I haven't gotten any sleep in two days.  I am WAAAAAYYYYY behind in doing laundry, and I ran out of sheets for our bed.  I had to resort to using a set of sheets that I never, ever use.  They're satin. Luxurious, or so you'd think.  No.  Wrong.  So very wrong.  They're awful.  And every time I put them on the bed, I remember why it is that I never use them.  (Except until I run out of all other clean sheets.)  My pillow slips off the bed.  The blankets slip off the bed.  I almost fell off the bed.  At around 3 am, Todd asked if I was still awake.  I was, and he suggested sleeping in between the blankets.  That just completely defeats the purpose.

Things have been really busy.  Aren't they always?  We've had a lot to do these last few nights, and the girls have been going to bed way late.  And weirdly enough, getting up a little early.  Combine those with smaller nap times, and I feel like our house is a powder keg waiting to blow.  Todd and I are tired and grumpy.  The girls' moods are rapidly cycling between giddiness and severe grumpiness.  Sunshine and I had a birthday party to go to today for one of her classmates.  So in addition to being tired, she's now hyped up on sugar.  Super.  I'm actually a little jealous of Todd who got to dash off to work when I returned home with Sunshine.  

Cookies to bake, presents to wrap, ornaments to repair, mountains of laundry to fold... I feel like I'm missing out on the joy of the season.  I can't seem to get past what I need to do.  I don't want any of this to feel like a chore.  Maybe it's the weather.  It just doesn't feel like Christmas when it's a balmy 70 degrees outside.  Maybe it's just a long, tumultuous year coming to an end.  I don't know.    Whatever it is... I need an injection of holiday spirit.  It seems a bit hard to come by this year.  I want to go see some Christmas lights, spend just one evening with the girls doing nothing but having fun.  Todd is working tonight, so maybe tomorrow.  Definitely tomorrow.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too often there is more stress than cheer in December. Hopefully that will change on your trip north for Christmas. We're looking forward to your visit!
BTW, Jamie and Chris were hunting this a.m. (was 12 I believe) and Jamie got one! Brrrrrrr.
Love, DAD