Navigating the sticky, jam-covered road of life.  

Friday, January 16, 2009

Goings on this week

I think this week has been one that I'd rather not repeat.  Ladybug has been plagued by a nasty combination of fever, virus, and ear infection that is still raging.  She feels miserable, and all she wants to do is be held.  By Mommy.  Hence the sparse posting.  Having a very sick child suction cupped to my side combined with the jealousy of her big sister has had a draining effect on any creativity I might have had.  I could vent all day about "baby slop" as Sunshine calls it, but you don't really want to hear about that.  And I'm a little tired of living it.  

She is feeling a little better today though. She wants to actually move around a little on her own.  The only problem is that her balance is still way, way off.  She's bumping into everything and falling over.  So she's crying, a lot.  It's heartbreaking to see so many  huge tears pouring down the cheeks of a child who never really cries.  

So now I get to deal with the aftermath of our lovely week.  Luckily today is a special day. Sunshine has a play date after school, at someone else's house.  So I'm a free woman.  Well, as free as a woman can be with a little one alternately suction cupped to her side or falling down and crying.  But I don't have to pick up Sunshine from school, and I know she will have a fabulous afternoon with her friend.  And what's even better... I don't have to think of a way to get Sunshine off the playground on this super cold day.  Cause you know kids NEVER feel cold when the opportunity to swing arises.  I can put Ladybug down for a nap when she actually needs to get down for a nap, and perhaps get some work done.  

Adjusting to working from home has been difficult.  I am mystified by people who do it.  Sunshine has been balking about what this whole work from home thing means for her.  The disappointment when I pull out the computer is palpable.  We have a deal where we'll work on two activities together, and then she gets to work by herself while I work by myself.  I'm reluctant to rely on television babysitting.  We've finally gotten her to the point where she doesn't ask to watch television.  And I like that.  

Come to think of it, a timer might help.  Perhaps if Sunshine knew that a ringer would bring her Mommy back to her world of Candy Land and Go Fish, she might be more willing to allow me some quiet time to work.  Sadly though, the ringer would probably only mean that it's time to make dinner.  Just not enough time in the day, is there?    

Well, folks.  Stay warm today.  It's cold out there.  Even in Georgia.  

No comments: