Navigating the sticky, jam-covered road of life.  

Thursday, January 22, 2009

It's baaaaaaaack.

I knew it was back.  Just when we thought things were getting better; it started again.  The rising temperature, the spastic coughing, the overwhelming need to be suction-cupped to my side.  Then finally, the awful wheezing.  I dragged my poor little Ladybug back to the doctor again this morning.    Two more rip-roaring ear infections, a still-sore throat, bronchitis-induced asthma, and many prescriptions later, we left.  

Ladybug has been great about it.  She'll cheerfully slurp down any orange or grape flavored medicine.  She even says thank you after I wipe her nose.  She's been such a trooper.  Until I brought the nebulizer back out.  Now she's no stranger to the gas-spewing fish mask.  We spent almost two months attached to it last year after a nasty bout of RSV.  Unfortunately she can't remember that far back.  

It was so much easier when she was an infant.  She would curl up in my arms, and I would place the mask over her face.  She'd usually fall asleep within minutes, lulled by the hum of the machine.  Not so anymore.  She fought that thing tooth and nail.  And I have the scratches on my arms to prove it.  She wanted nothing to do with being in my arms if it involved having that thing on her face.  It was so difficult to hold her rigid, squirming, scratching body.  I felt awful having to contain her that way.  After about 10 minutes of screaming, her body completely relaxed and she gave into it.  Staring into her sad eyes, I felt even worse.  She seemed broken.  I know it will get easier.  She'll get used to it in no time, but these next few treatments won't be pretty.

So once again my house has devolved into chaos.  Cause NOTHING happens when there's a sick kid.  I've got tons of emails to flip through, mountains of laundry to fold (though don't I always?), and dust bunnies in my corners that are approaching the size of actual rabbits.  We had a play date today, so it's even worse than normal.  Who knew three 4-year olds could do so much damage?  Thank goodness for Magic Erasers.  I probably should have cancelled, but it was actually a great diversion.  Let me concentrate a bit on Ladybug.  

Well, I can hear the whistling from downstairs, so I'm guessing it's time for another go with the nebulizer.  Wish my little one luck!


Cassie said...

I hope she gets better quickly. I know how awful it is to have a sick little one. Don't worry about the house, it will just get dirty again.

Atlanta Mommy said...

Thanks, Cassie. I actually apologized to the mom of our play date today. Said that I would love to say it doesn't always look like this, but that would probably be lying. At least lately. Luckily she laughed. She's definitely one of the more laid back moms at our school.

Kris said...

Hi Angie,
You've been on my heart and mind. Hope you can feel all the good vibes I'm sending your way! Remember, these are the easy years!!! Thank you for sharing - I love hearing about your family. Love you.