Navigating the sticky, jam-covered road of life.  

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The San Francisco Treat

So this past weekend my amazing husband took me to San Francisco to celebrate my birthday.  Good Lord, I love this man.  He totally gets me.  We both have this insatiable need to try every different type of food imaginable.  This essentially meant eating.  All. Day. Long.  Thank goodness for the hills (we actually call them mountains in Georgia.) or I would have gained about 50 pounds.  We walked everywhere.  And I still have the bruises on the bottom of my feet to prove it.

We started in Chinatown, and I was so hungry that I would have paid mad money to pick something off a menu that I couldn't read.  But it was delicious, and it kept me from turning insanely grumpy as I am apt to do when I'm not fed regularly.  The fabulous Chinese was followed by more Chinese, Spanish bocadillos, Italian lamb, Japanese sushi, the BEST Vietnamese I've ever had, Indian coffee, and crab.  You can't not have crab in San Francisco.  

The weather was dreadful, rained the entire time.  Both of us went through 2 umbrellas each.  We didn't really notice it much though, unless we happened to be hanging on to the outside of a cable car.  The sun peaked out for about a minute on Saturday as we were walking around Alcatraz.  Meant that my socks were actually dry for about an hour.  Never underestimate the value of dry socks.  

We only had one tense moment on the cable cars.  We had just boarded the car in front of our hotel and were staring at the massive hill ahead of us, when we heard the operator yell to everyone that there was a problem with the brakes.  He wasn't stopping until he reached the top, or the car would slide down backwards.  Sweet.  But we stayed on the car, and made it off alive.  

We missed the girls tremendously.  I've got to say though, it was so nice to be able to walk into a hotel room and NOT need to baby proof it.  We've decided that we need to return, with the girls in tow.  And a babysitter.  Definitely a babysitter.  

But one of the biggest highlights of our trip was the flight home.  And yes, I'm being totally sarcastic.  We were lucky enough to sit across the aisle from a lovely lady who was drunk as a skunk.   The poor man seated next to her should be nominated for sainthood.  She curled herself around him, vomited in HIS smoothie, played with his hair, and tried to take his bag.  But it gets worse, ladies and gentlemen.  Oh does it get worse.  She peed.  All over herself.  In the seat.  At the BEGINNING of the flight.  Seriously people.  I couldn't make this stuff up.  

All in all, it was a fantastic trip.  We ate.  We walked, and walked, and walked.  We desperately needed the time to ourselves.  Just to reconnect.  I know it will be a while before we get another opportunity like this one.  So I'm glad that we made the best of this trip.  And if anyone wants restaurant recommendations....


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well done, worth the wait. You made your trip come alive for us on many visceral and esoteric levels. You need to get a job traveling around the world, reporting your observations. I'll go with you!!!!!

Atlanta Mommy said...

Good Lord. You could definitely tell that I wrote this past WAY late last night. So much editing to do this morning. Thanks, Aunt Kris!

Anonymous said...

Knowing the dedication you both have to the kids, glad you recognize the need for quality time together too! Glad you had a great time, despite the rain!
DAD

Anonymous said...

You must have an amazing husband. Travel for a gift is a great idea. You should never, ever, take him for granted. Ever.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the previous poster. Amazing present from an amazing husband.