Navigating the sticky, jam-covered road of life.  

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Because I'm the Guest, That's Why.

We stepped out of the play date rotation for a while during Ladybug's bout with bronchitis.  It was hard on Sunshine.  I could tell she missed having those afternoons with her friends.  But now that Ladybug is better and we've stopped traveling, it was time to bite the bullet and step back in.

Something keeps bothering me though.  Every time we have someone here, I'm constantly hearing But I'm the guest, I get to choose, or We have to do what I want from our little guest.  Please tell me my kid doesn't do this at someone else's house.   I mean, I totally get what our guest's parents are trying to do.  They want their child to understand that when a guest comes to your house, you treat them hospitably.  I agree with it, but I also think it's a little extreme.  

I would be mortified if Sunshine went to someone's house and demanded to do what she wanted, because she was the guest.   Around here I've been trying to encourage the girls to come up with games that they both want to play.  I don't want my little girl to dislike having play dates at our house because she feels like she doesn't have a choice in what activities to participate in.  And honestly, I don't like having to mediate the arguments that occur every time I hear But I'm the guest.  

I know these parents, and these kids.  And don't get me wrong.  These are great kids.  I just think that deference towards the guest is way too overemphasized.  That's just not the way things are in the real world, right?  


1 comment:

Cassie said...

I think your on the right track. To me the whole point of a play date is for the children to learn how to play together. Keep up the good work. :)