Navigating the sticky, jam-covered road of life.  

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Kangaroo? Really?

She's done this several times before, and I didn't really think too much about it.  It wasn't until this weekend, when she wanted to play the game with her cousins, that I really paid attention to what she was saying.  

The new Horton movie is a popular one in our house these days.   Someone please tell me why, when my imaginative Sunshine wants to act out the Horton movie, the only character she wants to be is the control-crazy Kangaroo?  Yes, she is bossy.  Or for the politically correct out there, she's assertive, with a take charge mentality.  Gosh, I wonder where she gets that from...

I fervently hope that we haven't created a monster.  We're trying to help her understand that her way is not the only way to do things.  That other people have perfectly wonderful ideas.  Her Montessori school is really helping.  So how do you teach a kid to be a good leader, and a good follower?  By example, I know.  But it's not always that easy.  

And because transitions are not my strong suite, I'm totally psyched about this weekend.  It's a long weekend for us, and Todd is taking me (yes, just me) to San Francisco.  Imagine, four days of not having to chop up veggies into tiny pieces.  Four mornings of sleeping in.  I'm in heaven, and we desperately need some time together.  

It's taken a lot of planning to prepare for this trip.  There's the usual laundry to be done, meals to plan, directions for the kids (both furry and fur-less)  to type up.  But there's also the unusual:  updating the will.  It's hard to do, but so very, very important.  So that is next on my list of things to do.  Wish me luck.  


No comments: