Navigating the sticky, jam-covered road of life.  

Monday, October 13, 2008

The People I Left Behind...

So most of you know that I moved from Virginia several months ago.  In moving to Atlanta, I left my two wonderful sisters and brother back up in Virginia.  There's not a day that goes by that I don't miss them terribly.  

I used to talk to Sharon at least 5 times a day.  Even when we lived in the same state.  Our conversations might not last for more than a couple of moments, but she's always one of those people that I want to talk to on a semi-hourly basis.  We have children that are just two months apart, so most of the time we're going through the same things. She has this amazing way of making me see things from another perspective, and I am eternally grateful for having her for a sister.  Sharon decided to go back to teaching this year.  Special Ed.  God has a special place for people who can do what my sister does every day.  She works so hard for her family.  It means that now I only get to talk to her once every couple of days versus every couple of hours.  It's been hard.  I've literally picked up my phone no fewer than 6 times today just thinking about calling her.  Sharon...if you're reading this.  I PROMISE I'm not trying to make you feel guilty.  I just wanted to say that I miss you!

I can't even begin to say how proud I am of my sister Ashley.  I missed most of her growing up years.  I've gotten to see a lot of her these last few years, to get to know her all over again.  Ashley's another on of those people that God has a special place for.  She's working her way through grad school to become a social worker.  She's tremendous with kids.  My kids, other people's kids.  A bit like a Guardian Angel.  I get to talk to Ashley a little more than Sharon.  But it still never seems like enough.  

My brother Christopher is still a bit of a mystery to me.  There's such a large difference in our ages, and I'd already left home by the time he started school.  I was just getting to know him again when I left.  He is the epitome of hard work.  He had it toughest of all of us, and he's amazing.  He works so very hard.  Two jobs and a full load of classes at college.  I wasn't strong enough to do that.  I don't get to tell him how proud of him I am nearly enough.  

It's sad.  When I left we talked about how we'd see each other more than just once or twice a year.  With school and jobs, we're going to be lucky to see each other that often.  I'm going to see two of the three this upcoming weekend, and I'm ecstatic.  It will be far too short a weekend, and I'll be left craving more time.  But it will have to do.    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So..I'm glad I read this at night and not before work..you woudl have made my make-up smear!!! I miss you guys so much:( I miss our everyday, 5 times a day phone calls too!!! if you only knew how to text..we'd be fine!! Can't wait to see you this weekend!!! Hugs and kisses to the little ones...and well I guess Todd too!!!!

Muah xoxo