Navigating the sticky, jam-covered road of life.  

Monday, November 3, 2008

Anyone with the right Lotto numbers?

I've got a bone to pick with law firms these days.  My husband works so very hard.  Most days he's gone by 6:30 in the morning.  Lately, we're lucky if we see him by the time the girls go to bed.  Mostly it's well past their bedtime.  The worst part is that no matter how much work he does, it's never enough.  Several years ago I came to the realization that he does not want to be at work.  He would much rather be home with us.  Work is something that he does to pay the bills.  Ahhh, if only we didn't have to worry about such silly things as food and housing.  Seriously though, it's a little sad.  I would love for him to enjoy his job as much as I do mine, but looking at it this way has helped me to tell him that it's OK.  I understand that he needs to be at the office.  I miss him, but I'll have dinner waiting when he gets home (sometimes).

You want to give 110% to your job.  You need to give 110% to your job because there are lots of other people out there who will if you won't.  Part of that is what makes it so hard.  You'll work 14 hours a day, but someone out there will work 15.  But how do you do the same for your family?   Something always seems to suffer.  I've got to hand it to Todd though.  When he's home, the girls and I are his top priority.  

I feel so terribly guilty that he's missing so much of the girls' formative years.  I know that he's doing this so I can stay home with them.  It would be so much easier to break this cycle if I were working.  He could start his own firm, or take a job that he really enjoys.  The thing is... I really love my job.  I couldn't imagine doing anything else.  Todd is completely supportive, which actually makes it a little harder.  I feel so guilty, and so selfish.  Here's hoping we win the Lotto, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ugh....I can totally understand what Todd is going through.

But, if it's any consolation, men in our position do it for or kids too.

No reason to feel guilty because your job is just as hard as his and I'm sure you are putting in very long hours as well!