Navigating the sticky, jam-covered road of life.  

Monday, September 1, 2008

Her First Girl Moment...I'm so proud

Not too long ago, Sunshine had her very first girly moment.  It surprised me, and it didn't.  She's always been one with a penchant for crowns, lip gloss, and princesses.  But this was so grown up that I couldn't help but smile to myself.

We'd been out shopping all day.  You know the kind of outlet mall shopping that is mind-numbingly painful for a 3 year old little girl who just wants to run.  But she was amazing.  I couldn't have asked for a better shopping buddy.  And at 3 pm, she found them.  The sparkly shoes to end all sparkly shoes.  Beautiful sparkly silver thongs, and she had to have them.  Being a responsible mom, I generally don't give into spur of the moment purchases, but like I said, she was fantastic.  We bought the shoes.

Brimming with pride, she put them on as soon as I whisked out my credit card.  She showed everyone these shoes.  Two stores later, she was hobbling.  You could tell her feet hurt so badly.  It was written all over her face.  But she wouldn't take them off.  Only 3 years old, and already prepared to suffer for fashion.  

Maybe it amazed me so much because I am the exact opposite.  If the shoes hurt, I don't wear them.  Sure I might walk around all summer in ugly Walmart flip flops, but you had better believe they are comfortable ugly flip flops.   I do believe that fashion is something we will butt heads on.  Especially tomorrow morning, when I break the news that she's not allowed to wear her beloved sparkly silver shoes to school anymore.  It will be the end of the world as we know it.  

No comments: