Navigating the sticky, jam-covered road of life.  

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

MOTHERHOOD = FAIL, PART II

I'm relatively relieved that there are no grades given for parenting.  No semester reports.  There is one major final grade given, but that's years away.  Good thing too, because I'm totally failing.  

Exhibit A: 

Sunshine woke up with a bad dream last night.  It took me a while to get to her because I had incorporated her crying into my dream.  I actually have no idea how long she was crying.  It was easy to put her back to bed though, and I didn't think about it again until this morning.  After we had cuddled for a moment, I asked her about her dream.  Apparently I was chasing a crab.  And trying to kill it.  Because I wanted to eat it.  And she didn't want me to.  

Wow.  I'm the source of my kid's bad dream.  I'm actually giving her nightmares.  I just don't know how I feel about this.  Is this a sign that I need to maybe knock off the ethnic food a little?  Get back to the mac and cheese?  

Exhibit B:

Ladybug and I picked up Todd for a trip the printer's this morning.  I had the radio on, and what song does Ladybug start singing?  Give You Hell by the All American Rejects.  That's right, ladies and gentlemen.  My 22-month old can sing Give You Hell.  

In my defense, she can sing her ABCs too.  And it could be worse... we heard one little girl singing We all just want to be big rock stars at the park about a year ago.  Life is about balance, right?  At least that's what I'm going to tell myself tonight.  Maybe I'll get it right tomorrow. 




2 comments:

Denise said...

Being a parent is a very humbling experience.

natasha the exile on Mom Street said...

Cut yourself some slack.

Those were C's at the worst, not F's!

Us moms are always our own worst critics. At least, the good ones are.