Navigating the sticky, jam-covered road of life.  

Friday, April 17, 2009

The Lost Month of April

So most of you probably realize that there must be big things going on at the Poole house.  You would be correct.  And no, there are no babies involved.  Unless you consider the brand new law firm that my brilliant husband has just opened a baby.  I guess it could kind of be considered that.  We've been working on it for quite a while.  It hasn't come without pain or joy.  Only this time it wasn't me in the driver's seat.  Thank goodness for that.  I, however, have taken over the role of the support person.  What can I get for you, dear?  Anything I can do to help?  Sure, I'll get right on that.  Talk about a total role reversal.  

Truthfully, I couldn't be more thrilled.  My husband is happy working.  I haven't seen him happy in his work for a very long time.  Now don't get me wrong, he actually works for longer hours now.  But they're his hours.  Working for his baby.  I couldn't be prouder.  

Scary as Hell?  Yes.  That too.  I've been working for the last two weeks on attaining health care.  Wow.  Un-freaking-believable.  It's so depressing that I've actually had to put it away several times.  I just can't bear to look at it.  There are actual policies out there that cost me $300/month just so I can have the privilege of paying for absolutely everything myself.  Preventative care, office visits?  Nada.  Until you hit the deductible of approximately a billion dollars.  Maternity coverage?  Hahahahahaha.  There's nothing that covers maternity anymore. And if you do want to purchase a special maternity rider?  There's a 12 month waiting period before you can even think about getting pregnant.  You get to pay for that lovely policy for 12 freaking months before you can use any benefit.  All I can say is that all those people out there practicing Natural Family Planning had better be very, very frightened.  

It's all worth it, though.    Just to see Todd thrilled about something other than the kids and me.  It's changing the person that I am.  By nature, I don't deal well with uncertainties.  This is forcing me to confront that fear of the unknown.  I have no idea where we'll be in a  year, or two.  I know where I hope we'll be.  And we're working like crazy to get there.  Sometimes I have to remind myself to slow down and enjoy the journey.  This is big.  Building something that is wholly our own.  

I'm not sure where this blog is going to fit in with the next few months of our life.  It will fit in.  But I think that it will have to come after being an assistant, secretary, courier, wife, and mother.  I guess I'm just saying that I will be slow.  And I hate that.  I love this blog.  So, I'm sorry that I lost the first half of April.  I hope I don't lose the second half.  

So... in the interest of supporting our family... anyone need a lawyer?

3 comments:

kris said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm fully confident your law practice will blossom! Your family is a good fit in the city where you live and you both have a quality that cannot be underestimated: trustworthiness.

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh!!!! How exciting for you both. I am so very happy for you. I know we talked a little bit while I was there but didn't know it was happening so soon. A huge Congratulations! Love Kirha

Anonymous said...

I love you Ang.. Thanks for being a great big sister!! I think aobut ya'll everyday* [not too mention i call you even more ;)]